Best Cordless Drills in 2017
Top Ten Best Cordless Drills in 2017
To me, speed is really about convenience,î said Marissa Mayer. So, wouldn’t you like some convenience with your power drills as well? Before digging deep inside, allow me just to remind you that I’m here to separate the wheat from the chaff.
Having said that, I want you to imagine working in your home or workshop in the month of June when the temperature is 35 degrees, and you have to do everything manually. Not so convenient, right?
Fret not! This is where the cordless drills come into use.
One of the biggest advantages of a cordless drill is the labor work it saves. I have no doubt when I say that this is the Swiss Army Knife of a carpenter! Why on earth would I say that? Let’s check it out:
Standard Cordless Drill
|Cordless drills run on rechargeable batteries.||†You can carry it with you anywhere. Suitable for remote areas (think of a laptop)|
|Three amazing battery technologies available: Nickel Cadmium, Nickel Metal Hydride, and Lithium-Ion||†You have the option to choose the battery according to your requirement|
|Built-in LED||It’s extremely useful for certain areas like under sinks or when you’re at height|
|Keyless Chuck||†Use your hand for tightening or loosing the chuck – this feature was not available in older drills.|
|Dual Speed Control||Extremely helpful in different drilling scenarios|
|Torque Control||Performes the job of a screwdriver in an efficient manner|
Cordless drills are effective as compared to their counterparts as it comes with three battery technologies (Lithium-Ion being the most expensive and effective).
It not only reduces the manual job of a skilled carpenter but also provides much more flexible options.
Let’s dive deep into the ocean of power drills and find out which are the best drills currently available in the market.
Let the games begin!
#1 DeWALT 771C2 MAX 20V Li-on (BESTSELLING/ECONOMICAL)
This bestselling yellow-color DeWalt is one of the most popular and economical cordless drills in the market. It’s pretty lightweight, 3.9 pounds to be exact (1.8 kg) and comes with a lithium-ion battery along with a contractor bag.
What I like about this particular drill is that it features two speeds and they can be adjusted according to one’s needs. It comes with 0-450 RPM that means the torque ratio will be high and 0-1500 RPM will offer greater speed but relatively little torque.
The high-performance motor delivers a whopping 300 watts that are more than enough for most applications. The 2 Li-ion batteries included in the package weigh about 24 ounces (0.02 kg) and have the superior quality.
One of the amazing features is the Torque Adjustment that has 16 different settings. Basically, the higher you go, the greater torque you will have.
DeWALT 771C2 comes with a compact charger, two batteries, a cordless drill, small charger, contractor bag and costs $99 – it’s on the top of the list for a reason, and that is an excellent performance for the price.
#2 Black and Decker LDX120C 20-Volt
A highly-rated cordless drill manufactured by Black & Decker comes in a small box with the usual instructional manual, 20V Li-ion battery, small charger as compared to the old ones and of course the drill.
You can plug the battery into the bottom of the drill and get it running. It’s relatively light, and the comfortable rubber grips make it comfortable to carry even when doing long hour jobs.
Black & Decker 20-Volt Drill is comparatively lighter than other drills due to the size of drill and the battery. This means that you don’t need a carry case to move your drill.
It will take about 3-4 hours for the battery to be recharged as mentioned in the instruction manual. One of the advantages of this drill is that it will provide maximum speed even on low battery, but it will stop as soon as the battery finishes.
It has a small light on the front that is useful in certain areas. It’s a bit difficult to adjust the torque settings, but that can be managed without much hassle.
You will have access to 2 In & Out buttons – they come in handy when moving screws in or out.
Additionally, I wanted to mention here is that this cordless drill does not have a magnetic strip that is useful for holding screws when you’re working at a height.
#3 HITACHI DS18DSAL 18-VOLT LITHIUM ION
Hitachi is an excellent brand that many people don’t talk about, but it manufactures some excellent power tools designed for the real pros.
DS18DSAL is an 18-volt compact drill driver that is not only designed keeping in view the great performance, but also the beautiful styling and the budget.
It is entirely covered with rubber from the handle to the top, where the motor is housed. Hitachi did a fine job making the grip of this drill driver quite comfortable, small and most importantly, ergonomic.
Although it’s a compact drill driver, it has a powerful motor that produces somewhat 460 inches/pounds MAXIMUM torque.
The drill driver comes with dual speed control. Speed 1 is from 0 to 350 RPM (Revolutions Per Minute), and Speed 2 is from 0 to 1500 RPM that is more than enough for most applications.
Although it is quite lightweight & compact, this doesn’t mean that it’s not a powerful drill. According to the tests, it weighs about 3.5 pounds including the battery.
For areas where there is no light, the built-in LED of this Hitachi power tool comes in great use. Another common feature of a compact drill driver is the belt clip, and unsurprisingly, it has one.
However, it does not include the bit storage, in case you were wondering. What I like about this particular drill is that its users can replace the brushes and it’s a great feature to be considered.
One thing that I would also like to mention is that it includes 2 Li-on batteries and the charging time is about forty minutes. It also includes a flashlight.
#4 Makita XPH012 18V LXT
Makita began manufacturing in the late 90s and has been delivering quality power tools to the market – XPH012 is one of those.
This 18V drill driver comes in a strong carry case (did I say beautiful?) and includes the usual manuals and warranty information.
Inside the case, there’s a rapid charger, 3.0 amp single battery and has one extra spot for placing an additional battery, bits or anything else.
It is an amazingly powerful cordless drill with two speeds (0-400 RPM) and (0-1500 RPM) respectively. One of the most suitable power tools for the average construction person.
It has a dazzling built-in LED and has flexible torque adjusting settings including the hammer action that was not available on the old models.
The charging time of the battery is approximately 30 minutes. The motor delivers 480 pounds/inches torque that is quite enough!
This Makita tool has a comfortable grip, and the handle is a lot thinner for convenience purposes. All in all, this makes the number four on our list, and it’s recommended as it can achieve most of the tasks.
#5 Milwaukee 2410-22 M12
Just like other Milwaukee power tools, 2410 is a great quality drill driver that weighs about 3.5 pounds and has a fantastic performance for home & industrial applications.
It’s compact, lightweight and hence easy to carry. It’s recommended for smaller jobs where you don’t need a much larger drill.
It comes with a small battery that has 30-minute charging time. The drill shuts down when the battery finishes. On average, the battery life is about two years.
The motor produces 270 inch/pounds torque with a built-in LED that isn’t much brighter but comes in handy. All in all, a great lightweight Milwaukee build.
#6 Bosch PS31-2A 12
This power tool by Bosch comes in a convenient carrying case that is suitable for traveling purposes. PS31-2A is quite small, compact and lightweight.
The package includes 2 Lithium-ion batteries that are relatively small, a charger and the charging time is about 30 minutes. It would be interesting to know that the battery life of Bosch is much better.
The 12V Cordless drill has a comfortable grip (a MUST HAVE), and it weighs about 2.1 pounds, as it’s quite small. This is recommended for minor tasks and home usage.
#7 Genesis GCD18BK
On Amazon, the Genesis GCD18BK is among the best-selling drills. In the last two years, this drill has ranked either no. 1 or no. 2 on Amazon, regarding drills and this is a great record!
It is fascinating that a brand, which is unknown, would manage to achieve this feat in the market for power tool; however, the latest tool brand Genesis has proven this possible.
With more than 100 5 star reviews, it is evident that this affordable power tool is unique.
- The battery life is long, enabling you to work for many hours.
- For the cost, it is amazingly durable, and it is not going to stall on you!
- It can sink screws and drill holes effortlessly.
- It has worklight and magnetic screw holder that are useful.
A truly incredible value for the reduced cost.
Simple to Use
- The Genesis 18V cordless drill consists of all features you would anticipate to find in an item that costs double its price, for instance, a keyless chuck of 3/8î, belt clip and 18V power.
- According to reviewers, it has a great fit in your hand and is also well balanced. Its weight is in an extremely reasonable level for drills with this power, and no reviewers complained of the battery being excessively heavy or any other issues related to the feel. Some reviewers stated it was lighter than anticipated!
- According to some reviews, the drill appears to have limited power. This is because the motor just has a speed of up to 550RMP. However, as this drill costs $30, this is not bad! This signifies you cannot sink many screws fast; however, it does not mean you shall not manage to drill a hole or get the screw inside.
- Because of the cost also, the drill has one battery available. There are more batteries available, however, whose price is reasonable. It is advisable to buy some in case you use this drill often.
- Small details concerning this drill make it adorable. In place of a shortage of high power, this product presents an integrated magnet, hard storage case and LED guide light.
- According to users, the LED guide light is particularly handy when drilling in areas that are dark, or when the tool blocks your source of light at times, for instance in a corner.
- These special features are what truly make this drill top in the competition and offer it an extra element where usefulness is concerned. According to reviewers, they are truly useful in all kinds of circumstances.
#8 Ryobi P208 18 Volt 1/2″
Ryobi P208 presents a cordless drill, which is compact and powerful (charger and batteries are not included). It consists of a 24-position clutch, a MagTray magnet holder, and 2-speed gearbox. This makes it ideal for sustaining bits and screws, to optimize output.
The P208 also has a new GripZone overmold; this offers maximum grip and user comfort, a single sleeve of Ω inch and a keyless chuck with automatic spindle lock that facilitates simple bit changes.
There is a LED light so as to manage to see the precise area you are drilling. The bubble level on the drillís top back will assist you to create a straight hole.
Apart from this, there is a fuel gauge on the Ryobi P208. If you press on it, this will indicate to you the amount of charging time available to you before the battery dying.
This avoids you being left stranded with an inactive drill, halfway through a project.
- Ryobi has started Lithium+, which is the next generation of Lithium-Ion Technology with its platform for 18V battery. This offers homeowners, DIY fans, hobbyists, and craftspeople access to an entirely new rate of power, earlier reserved for expert tradespeople.
- These batteries offer a lot more integrated fuel gauge and runtime. In the DIY market, they present the most solid 2.5Ah Lithium+ batteries. The latest Ryobi Drill Driver Kit (18V Compact) is wholly available with 2×2.5Ah Lithium + batteries, quick charger, and convenient storage.
- Keyless chuck of 13mm
- Torque settings of 24 clutch settings and 2-speed gearbox.
- LED on foot for periods of working in unlit, confined areas.
- Magnet for sustaining screws plus drill bit storage
- Kit has compact drill driver, storage bag, 2x 2.5Ah Lithium + batteries, dual chemistry quick charger.
- There is a 24-position clutch as well as 2-speed gearbox that cater to your drilling and driving requirements.
- Compact design can be accommodated in tiny areas and is ideal for spaces that are difficult to access.
- Work surfaces are illuminated by LED light, raising visibility.
- The MAGTRAY magnetic holder provides useful placement of bits and screws.
- Keyless chuck, which is a Ω inch, with one sleeve, has automatic spindle lock, making it easy to change bit quickly.
- Bubble, which is mounted on top, provides precision in drilling and driving.
- Lithium-ion batteries that are compact offer more runtime of even 20%, 45% lighter weight and also sustain a 4X longer charge, in contrast to the 18-Volt Ni-CD battery (P100).
- The charger that is dual chemistry powers 18-Volt One+ batteries in only one hour.
- Charger indicator lights display status in the course of charging and maintaining the batteries.
- Maintenance mode ensures batteries remain conditioned while stored on the charger so as to perform well.
- Energy-save mode of the charger preserves energy when maintaining battery or not charging. This shields the battery cells, significantly prolonging the life of the battery.
- GripZone overmold handle has been enhanced to offer optimal comfort, grip, and command.
- This tool has a weight of 2.7 lbs.
- It is inclusive of P118 dual chemistry charger, storage bag, and P102 18-Volt One+ Lithium-ion batteries.
- Batteries work with each Ryobi 18-volt One + products
#9 Ryobi P882 One+ 18V
The Ryobi P882 One+ has been tested independently and classified as one of an ideal Lithium-Ion drills on todayís market. The impact driver is ideal for driving 3î screws home and has the torque and power for each of your driving requirements.
The driver and drill present GripZone, which is comfortable over molding and ëMagTrayí is convenient for holding screws and bits. This drill has a bubble level also, for precise driving and drilling.
The kit has batteries of 2-18v One+ Compact Li-ion, which are a great enhancement over the previous technology of Ni-Cd battery.
Apart from being more durable, they offer improved tool performance and have ëfade-freeí power. This signifies that they endure at complete power for the entire charge, unlike previous batteries that lose power and performance when charged halfway.
The solid size means all these enhancements are available to you in a tinier package, which makes it 45% lighter. This is wonderful for drilling in tight spaces or overhead!
As is standard practice with Ryobi, these batteries can work with each of your One+ tools, including the Ni-cd tools (blue).
The ëDual Chemistryí charger that has patented Intelliport technology shall charge your previous Ni-cd and latest Li-ion batteries fast.
This charger has certification of ëEnergy Starí to save money and energy when it is not charging or preserving the battery.
As per the ëEnergy Star,í using the ëmaintenance mode,í the batteries can be kept on the charger to sustain top readiness, without damaging the batteries, like other cordless battery systems.
The kit also has manuals, a socket adaptor, bits as well as a Tool Bag to contain it all! For all your drilling and driving, the heavy-duty drill with 2-speed gearbox and w/24 position is the best!
In general, this Ryobi P882 One+ drill with impact driver kit offers a remarkable purchase for the money.
#10 PORTER-CABLE PCC606LA 20-Volt
The PCC600 20 volt max Ω inch drill driver has a compact design, which contradicts its unique lithium-ion battery power, enabling you to handle drilling and fastening tasks in tight areas for longer spans of time between charges.
This tool uses the newest platform for the lithium-ion battery for PORTER-CABLE (TM). Regarding power tools, the drill-driver kit has accessories and tools necessary for powering through the most challenging wood drilling and metal drilling as well as fastening applications.
The PCC600 drill driver’s design which is compact and lightweight is created to get rid of user fatigue; however, it does not sacrifice power and speed, due to its high-performance motor and gearbox of two-speed.
Together with a couple of compact batteries of PCC680L lithium-ion as well as a charger, PCC690L lithium-ion, the drill-driver kit of PCC606LA is inclusive of all you require for a range of projects; whether you are fixing cabinets, bordering rooms or fixing door hinges.
The drill-driver kit takes advantage of the newest platform for lithium-ion, enabling the solid PCC600 drill-driver to present durable power that facilitates carrying out of jobs.
Efficiency is optimized by the high-performance motor of 330 unit watts out and dual speed ability ranging 0-400/0-1, 600 RPM), for fastening and drilling applications.
Check the level charge of the integrated PCC680L 1.5 amp-hour lithium-ion batteries with the drill-driver built-in battery gauge to control the rate of performance on a job site.
Porter-Cable compact competence has been able to pack all the lithium-ion power inside a tiny package of a length of lower than 8 inches with a weight of just 3.5 pounds. The creation of 20-volt max drill-driver PCC 600 was meant to fit small areas to drill and fasten effortlessly, but strongly.
Its slim handle reduces user tiredness, and ergonomic design raises comfort while using for a long time.
An installed LED light enhances visibility and rubber bumpers found on two sides assist in shielding it from getting worn.
There is a belt clip added which can be linked to fit users who are left and right handed for simple access to job area.
These are the best of the best cordless drills of 2017 after considering multiple factors like price, performance and usability. I really hope you will be able to make an informed decision after going through the list!